Thursday, December 3, 2009

Day 4

Greetings everyone!

It’s Thursday evening as I sit down to write this entry. We had an absolutely fantastic day today and we’re a bit worn out from all that we saw and experienced. The pilgrims all love our guide, Isaac, and are trying to find a way to bring him home with us. His understanding of history, geography, and scripture is very impressive.

Today we visited the many areas where Christ performed many of his miracles. We feel blessed to visit the places that were so important to our Lord’s earthly life. Some of the places we visited include Caesarea Philipi where our Lord first granted Peter the primacy of the Church (Mt. 16:18-19).

In Tabgha we visited the beautiful church of the Beatitudes (Mt. 5: 1-12), the Dominican Church of the Multiplication of Loaves and Fishes (Mk. 6: 30-44) and the chapel for the Primacy of Peter where Christ asked Peter three times if he loved him.

We then took a break for lunch at a local restaurant where most of us ate a meal which included the delicious, commonly known as the St. Peter’s fish (Tilapia to us).

Capernaum, tte town that Jesus called his home as an adult, was where we we saw the ruins of St. Peter’s mother-in-law’s home (Mk 1: 29-31) and the synagogue where Jesus taught. We also traveled to the site where Jesus cast out the demons in two men from Gerasene (Mk 5: 1-20).
The culmination of our day was on the Sea of Galilee where we celebrated Mass on the “Jesus Boat.”

What a privilege to be here!

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.


Sunrise over the Sea of Galilee


Our guide Isaac at Caesarea Philippi

Caesarea Philippi

Mount of Beatitudes
Church of the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes
Father Rick reading scripture on the multiplication of loaves and fishes
Tabgha-The Primacy of Peter, Sea of Galilee
Capernaum-The Village Synagogue
Mass on the 'Jesus Boat' on the Sea of Galilee

Hava-Na-Gila on the 'Jesus Boat' after Mass

6 comments:

  1. It is absolutely AWESOME to be able to view this blog as the pilgrims on the Holy Land Tour visit such a holy place. I am Barbara Dubes oldest daughter and I can't wait to get home daily to see the experiences that you all are having. Thank You for remembering us in your prayers as I remember you all in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to still feel connected to my friends at St. Bernard's since I can't just drop by and say "Hi" (Fr. Rick didn't have to go to such extremes :). You are all in my prayers and thank you for remembering me where our Lord walked. Looking forward to hearing all the details when you get back.
    God bless,
    Fr. John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping us so well informed and inspired.. It makes me feel like I am actually there with you all taking and following every step..
    Lisa McCarthy

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is WOW! Those pictures are magnificent. Especially the sunrise ove the sea of Galilee. It must be amazing to walk in the steps of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about this the day it happened. It didn't hit me until "the sea of Galilee"... I thought, "that's Jesus!" I'm so happy you get to make this pilgrimage. I hope I get to someday too. :)

    ReplyDelete